Camino professional line of couverture chocolate with Camino's 56% baking chocolate or Camino's 55% Dark chocolate bar, which is available at many Canadian grocery and health food stores, or online.
Here is my recipe:
Salted Dark Chocolate Truffles:
|President's Choice was my|
choice of fine sea salt for this recipe.
- 8 oz semi-sweet dark chocolate with 50% to 60% cacao solids (see above for chocolate brand suggestions or see below for truffle recipe using the Lindt Excellence Sea Salt chocolate bar)
- 3/4 cup whipping cream
- 1 tsp fine sea salt (if you just want a hint of salt, use 1/2 - 3/4 tsp sea salt, for a bold, salty flavour use the full 1 teaspoon)
- 1 tsp coarse sea salt (for decorating only)
- For finishing: 8 ounces of semi-sweet (50%-60%) or bittersweet (70%) dark chocolate for rolling OR cocoa powder
Step 1: If chocolate is not already in pellets or drops, chop it into 1/2-inch to 1-inch sized pieces and place in a heatproof bowl (preferable if the bowl is also microwavable in case you have trouble melting the chocolate).
Step 2: Heat the cream in a small saucepan on the stove until it reaches the boiling point.
Step 3: Pour the hot cream over the chocolate and stir slowly with a wooden spoon until smooth (if it does not melt fully, microwave for 5 second intervals if it is in a microwave-safe bowl. If you are using a stainless steel bowl rather than glass or plastic, place over a double boiler and stir until melted. Add the 1 tsp of fine seat salt and stir until it is fully mixed in.
Step 4: Let set on counter overnight or for 8 hours. Then refrigerate for 1 hour in order to make it stiff enough to roll into balls.
Step 5: Once set, take a small spoon and scoop out small spoonfuls of truffle mix. Roll between the palm of your hands to make balls. Place each truffle ball on a piece of wax paper.
Step 6: Roll in cocoa powder or melt & temper another 8 oz of semi-sweet or bittersweet chocolate and dip truffles using a fork. Place on a new sheet of wax paper. Place a few pieces of the coarse sea salt on top while still liquid. Let cool and harden. Then eat!
Alternate Recipe using a Lindt Excellence Sea Salt chocolate bar:
1. Break up three (3) Lindt Excellence Sea Salt dark chocolate bars into 1-inch pieces. Place in a bowl.
2. Heat 3/4 cup cream on stove until it reaches boiling point.
3. Pour the hot cream over the chocolate and stir slowly with a wooden spoon until smooth (if it does not melt fully, microwave for 5 second intervals if it is in a microwave-safe bowl).
4. Let set on counter overnight or for 8 hours. Refrigerate for 1 hour in order to make it stiff enough to roll into balls.
5. Follow remaining steps listed above.