Sunday, March 29, 2015

Roasted White Chocolate Eggs: A Treat-Torching Triumph!


When I bought a beautiful 'Roasted White Chocolate Bunny' in Toronto last week (click here to see it), I was fascinated not only with the distinct roasted marshmallow flavour, but also with the ingenious technique that SOMA chocolatemaker had applied to white chocolate. I have never, in my 10 years of obsessing about chocolate creations, thought to pull out my yet-to-be-used Crème Brûlée torch and fire up some white chocolate. But SOMA's rabbit inspired me and 'hopped' up my chocolate curiosity. From the first bite, I decided that I HAD TO try this technique.

SOMA probably should have printed the statement "Do not try this at home" on the package, because this is certainly a dangerous activity. And I admit that I was nervous about using the torch, which is precisely why I hadn't used it in the four years since I received it. But my curiosity was so overwhelming that I was willing to take the risk.

I tempered and molded small organic white chocolate eggs, with the Canadian organic and fair trade brand 'Camino', which only has three ingredients (cocoa butter, whole milk powder and cane sugar). The eggs were gorgeous, and I wondered if I really should be burning such delicious-looking little treats. But again, curiosity won out.

I placed the eggs on a metal cookie pan, and also lined the pan with aluminum foil to protect it. I started with the top side of the eggs, then chilled them in the refrigerator until cool (about a half hour). Then I flipped them over and roasted the bottom side to get a nice, roasted flavour all over (like a perfect campfire marshmallow should have).

As it turns out, a little practise is required before getting a good 'roast'.  At first, I tried applying the flame in rows, up and down the eggs, but that left a streak in the middle that almost looked like a crack. Finally I got the hang of it and started to even the roast out.

The only real difference was the appearance (Soma has clearly had a little more practice than me), and the slight taste of vanilla in Soma's chocolate.  Perhaps next time I would add some vanilla bean to my couverture.

I also made a few larger eggs with whole almonds in white chocolate, and the roasted marshmallow flavour with crunchy roasted almonds was a nice combination.

So if you are looking for a new way to use your Crème Brûlée torch, or if you love white chocolate and the flavour of roasted marshmallows, then do try this at home (with the proper safety precautions, of course). Or just buy Soma's.  This article will tell you how to get your hands on one of those delicious bunnies.

4 comments:

  1. I too crave this delectable treat. They do a bar and my favourite baking store Provisions by Dutchess in Edmonton orders it BUT. Soma won't ship it in hot weather. I need my fix. I have no experience tempering chocolate. I wonder if you could provide me with your method for this.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi!
      There is a link at the top of the blog called "How to Temper Chocolate" that may help, but really the key is to melt white chocolate to a temperature of 110 degrees F, then drop it (by placing your bowl over ice water and stirring continuously, while not getting even one drop of water in the chocolate or it will seize/get lumpy), bring it down to 78 degrees F, then back up just a little to about 80 degrees. Then test it by splashing a little on a metal knife - once it hardens it should be shiny and not streaky or white-ish looking (and by white, I mean bright-white-chalky colour, not white chocolate colour which is yellow-ish). If it is, reduce the temp again to 78 degrees, then slightly up again, the second time often does the trick. I hope that helps! Soma is wonderful - I wish I lived closer to Toronto! :-)

      Delete