Thursday, December 2, 2010

Just a truffles and filled chocolates kind of day....

I have far too much chocolate that is only half eaten in my house.  As much as I wanted to sit down with something new today, I really had to try to work my way through some of the previously tasted chocolate.
So I am relaxing at the computer with a Godiva Dark Chocolate Assortment box of filled chocolates and truffles. I normally prefer hand-made truffles that are carefully crafted by professional chefs and found in little boutique chocolate shops in metropolitan centres. However, I do not live in a metropolitan centre, nor any place that even resembles a city.  When I look out my window, I just see a barn, a horse, a field and, quite often, a lot of deer.  If I want to go to a city, I need to drive for more than two hours, and even then, there is  a lack of interesting chocolate shops in that city.  And so if I have a craving for filled chocolates and truffles with a lot of interesting flavours thought of by great chefs, I have to order those online.

However, my husband was feeling badly about the amount of travel he has been doing lately, so he brought me home a 301 gram box of Godiva chocolates from Toronto last week.  I am impressed that he thought to get the dark chocolate box - it means I have made progress in my hinting that I want only chocolate (preferably dark) for any special occasion gift - EVER.  It took a long time for that to get through, but I think it finally did.

What I like about this box is the amount of raspberry-flavoured chocolate in it.  There seemed to be quite a few (I just polished off the last Raspberry Ganache Swirl).  I think Godiva knows that raspberry-flavoured chocolate is their strong point. 

I also really liked the Midnight Swirl with a ganache centre made of 85% dark chocolate.  The Cappuccino espresso-infused dark chocolate truffle was supreme, as was the Extra Dark Chocolate Truffle and surprisingly, the French Vanilla Truffle.  I have to say, Godiva does a nice job on truffles.

I was not a fan of the cherry cordial - it was too super-sweet and the cherry inside looked yellow and chewy.  As you can tell, I didn't get far enough to bite the cherry after I broke through the outer layer and tasted all that flavour and sweetness.

So I have enjoyed my box of Godiva Dark Chocolate Assortments - even if I am more inclined to eat the artisan, chef-made stuff.  Something like a Soma Chocolatier (Toronto - distillery district, www.somachocolate.com) Douglas Fir Oil truffle or a truffle with 8-year old balsamic vinegar, oregano, basil, pink peppercorn or other interesting flavours like that.

Hopefully tomorrow I can start opening new chocolate bars...although I have barely made a dent in the previously tasted ones!

Check back soon!  In the next week I will be reviewing three chocolate bars with sea salt. I also have a Soma chocolate bar to taste and many others just waiting in my cupboard to be tasted.

1 comment:

  1. If you want your ex-girlfriend or ex-boyfriend to come crawling back to you on their knees (no matter why you broke up) you have to watch this video
    right away...

    (VIDEO) Win your ex back with TEXT messages?

    ReplyDelete