Sunday, November 7, 2010

Ho Hum...more of the hot stuff

I'm sorry to say that I don't have much of anything new to talk about today, except that I've made myself (and a few friends) more hot chocolate. The difference today is that I made it entirely from scratch.  Also, this batch of hot chocolate is a little richer than the stuff I made yesterday because I made it entirely with whole milk and threw in some milk chocolate, along with a little semi-sweet.  I used a combination of President's Choice Milk Chocolate Bar, Cocoa Camino 56% dark couverture and Cocoa Camino ogranic and fair trade cocoa powder. See below for the recipe - it was sweet and delicious and I think everyone who tried it today liked it.

Since I write about Cocoa Camino so often (because I use their products in my chocolate & pastries), I will instead focus on the President's Choice Milk Chocolate bar that I used.  It is 300 grams in size, which is great for the home-baker who wants to use real chocolate for baking, since the ingredients are good quality and natural.  It is also interesting because this particular brand of bars uses "canola lecithin", making it very unique, since most other chocolate bars have "soy lecithin" as the emulsifier to blend and stabilize the chocolate. I am not sure why the makers of the President's Choice brand have chosen to use canola lecithin over soy lecithin, but since it is a "non-allergenic lecithin", it is great for people who can't have, or prefer not to consume products containing soy. Life must be difficult for those who are allergic to soy or traces of soy, since soy lecithin is in most chocolate (except Cocoa Camino & several President's Choice 300 gram bars)! I can't imagine my life without chocolate!

Tomorrow I promise to get back to more serious tastings.  I will not mention now that I also ate half a Wonderbar and half a Bounty bar today (every serious chocolate connoisseur needs a day off now and then to satisfy their cravings for sweet, cheap chocolate candy!).

So here are the stats on the PC Milk Chocolate Bar:

President's Choice Milk Chocolate Bar, 300 grams
Product of France.
Loblaws Inc., Montreal/Toronto/Calgary CANADA
www.presidentschoice.ca
Ingredients: sugar, milk powder, cocoa butter, unsweetened chocolate, canola lecithin, natural vanilla flavour. May contain traces of wheat, egg, soy, peanuts and/or other nuts.

Recipe:
6 cups of whole milk
1/4 to half cup of cocoa powder (to colour and taste)
6 tablespoons of sugar (I used organic cane sugar)
2 to 3 tablespoons of honey
1/4 PC 300 gram Milk Chocolate Bar
1 to 2 ounces of semi-sweet chocolate

Top with marshmallows or whip cream for a richer treat!

1 comment:

  1. Great Blog. Lecilite Ingredients is a progressive company committed to advancing lecithin processing through innovation. Leveraging over 15 years of expertise, we consistently improve our technology to provide top-notch products. Our extensive range serves the food, pharmaceutical, healthcare, nutraceutical, and industrial sectors. Lecilite provide is one of best granular lecithin wholesale supplier

    ReplyDelete